Serving children and families since 1886
On May 25, 1886, a group of Roman Catholic nuns—the Daughters of Charity—opened a home for sick orphans at historic Schuyler Mansion in the city of Albany. The orphans had “sore eyes,” a symptom of the measles epidemic that had swept through the city that winter. The Diocese of Albany decided that sick children living at St. Vincent’s Orphan Asylum should be moved to a separate facility to prevent the further spread of the disease. St. Catherine’s Center for Children traces its origins to that new home for children at Schuyler Mansion.
In 1913, St. Catherine’s moved to its present home at 40 North Main Avenue in Albany. Anthony N. Brady, a wealthy businessman, donated the funds to build an orphanage alongside the new Brady Maternity Hospital.
St. Catherine's Center for Children has come a long way from its early days as home for sick orphans. Throughout our long history, we have experienced periods of growth and change that have defined the agency and established its reputation as a leading provider of human services in the Capital Region.
Indeed, adaptability and a willingness to embrace change are hallmarks of St. Catherine’s Center for Children. We have continually evolved, offering new services and programs to meet the changing needs of children and families.
Today, St. Catherine’s Center for Children is a regional provider of human services. Annually, our services reach about 1,000 children and 500 families. Our multi-service programs address issues of homelessness, child abuse and neglect, family instability, and special education. St. Catherine's willingness to embrace change and develop new services is, and will remain, our guiding philosophy as we support the human service needs of children and families throughout the region.